It is the "buzz" word of diets.
I fell for it once.
How can you not? I mean really?
It has so much to offer.
But have you REALLY read the labels?
Have you researched what each ingredient is and does?
I am disgusted.
I am appalled that this diet is touted as healthy.
I am equally disturbed that this diet has provided millions of dollars of income for health coaches.
The more people you get under you...the more money you make.
It might start out about "health". I think it almost always does.
People want to lose weight.
You have a little success and then become a health coach with Take Shape For Life.
Tthen the money starts coming in.
The blinders go on.
You never really looked at what your were eating in the first place.
You just took for granted that since someone told you it is "healthy and so good for you", it must be ok to eat.
You completely ignore that FACT that all Medifast products contain processed ingredients, artifical sweeteners, toxic chemicals .....a lot of things that are harmful to your body and you just never eat.
You ignore the fact that it's really not "healthy". Because, after all, you have lost weight and that was your goal.
It IS a FAD diet.
It is NOT whole food.
It is processed garbage.
It is a money sucker.
But at what risk?
So I have taken the ingredients from several of the bars, shakes, snacks, and other "food" items from the main website and looked each one up.
You know you can do this yourself, right?
It's all right there all the website.
Everything is spelled out before your very eyes.
Cut, paste, Google.
Just do it yourself and see what is in this crap.
I will start with 2 products that I looked up. I am mainly looking at the "what is that for" ingredients. Not all of them are bad. But the bad ones are really bad.
Just so you know- I left out the vitamin and mineral ingredients. They are all basically the same for every "product". Vitamins are vitamins.
- After eating fructose, 100 percent of the metabolic burden rests on your liver. With glucose, your liver has to break down only 20 percent.
- Every cell in your body, including your brain, utilizes glucose. Therefore, much of it is "burned up" immediately after you consume it. By contrast, fructose is turned into free fatty acids (FFAs), VLDL (the damaging form of cholesterol), and triglycerides, which get stored as fat.
- The fatty acids created during fructose metabolism accumulate as fat droplets in your liver and skeletal muscle tissues, causing insulin resistance and non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD). Insulin resistance progresses to metabolic syndrome and type II diabetes.
- Fructose is the most lipophilic carbohydrate. In other words, fructose converts to activated glycerol (g-3-p), which is directly used to turn FFAs into triglycerides. The more g-3-p you have, the more fat you store. Glucose does not do this.
- When you eat 120 calories of glucose, less than one calorie is stored as fat. 120 calories of fructose results in 40 calories being stored as fat. Consuming fructose is essentially consuming fat!
- The metabolism of fructose by your liver creates a long list of waste products and toxins, including a large amount of uric acid, which drives up blood pressure and causes gout.
- Glucose suppresses the hunger hormone ghrelin and stimulates leptin, which suppresses your appetite. Fructose has no effect on ghrelin and interferes with your brain's communication with leptin, resulting in overeating.
- Click here for more info about fructose:
- Dangers of fructose on the body
Natural and Artificial flavors: And that would be.....??? They leave ya hanging on this one.
Acesulfame K contains the carcinogen methylene
Long-term exposure to methylene chloride can cause
headaches, depression, nausea, mental confusion,
liver effects, kidney effects, visual disturbances, and
cancer in humans. (Just for fun I googled methylene
chloride and this is what I found out about it: Methylene chloride, also called dichloromethane, is a volatile, colorless liquid with a chloroform-like odor. Methylene chloride is used in various industrial processes in many different industries: paint stripping, pharmaceutical manufacturing, paint remover manufacturing, metal cleaning and degreasing, adhesives manufacturing and use, polyurethane foam production, film base manufacturing, polycarbonate resin production, and solvent distribution and formulation.)
Artificial color (Red 40, Yellow 6, Yellow 5, Blue 1)
Very nice Medifast people.
Known to cause behavior problems in children just to
have just ingested into your body:
genetically modified soy
great paint stripper
a metal cleaner
artificial food dyes
food thickener that was taken out of diet pills because
intestines were blocked
more artificial flavors of unknown origin
some milk protein
some coffee ( cause we all need more stimulants in
some fiber(oh, that was the inulin and oat fiber)
Vitamins thrown in to make it look "healthy".
the next one of these to ingest! This is only one out of
Oligofructose, Glycerine, Brown Rice Syrup, Peanut
Butter (Peanuts, Mono and Diglycerides, Salt, Mixed
Tocopherols), Non Fat Dry Milk, Butter, Natural and
Artificial Flavor, Rice Starch, Peanut Flour, Sunflower
Oil with tocopherol, Milk Protein Isolate, Evaporated
Cane Juice, Soy Lecithin, Fractionated Palm Kernel Oil,
Maltodextrin, Salt, Cocoa Powder, Sucralose,
Dextrose, Carrageenan, Distilled Monoglycerides.
So it's sugar that makes you fart!
Polydextrose, Maltitol Syrup, Oligofructose,Evaporated
Cane Juice,Dextrose- Wow! That is a whole lot of
SUGAR!!!!! When it comes to sugar, virtually all forms
will be toxic to your health in the long run. Switching
from refined white sugar to cane sugar, date sugar,
coconut sugar, brown rice syrup, fruit juice, molasses,
maple syrup, sucanat, sorghum, turbinado or agave
syrup will NOT ameliorate any of the risks as they all
contain HIGH amounts of fructose.
Peanut Butter: Some facts about peanuts you should
know...A 1993 study demonstrated 24 different t
types of fungi that colonized the inside of the
peanuts used in the report (Costantini, A. Etiology
and Prevention of Atherosclerosis. Fungalbionics
Series.1998/99). And this was after the exterior of the
peanut was sterilized! So, when you choose to eat
peanuts, not only are you potentially eating these
molds, but also their mycotoxins. (Incidentally, in the
same study the examiners found 23 different fungi on
the inside of corn kernels.)
Peanut flour: read above statement...
Soy lechitin: Already stated why soy is bad.....any
from cornstarch. Remember the statement from the
peanuts? Same with corn. Corn is universally
contaminated with mycotoxins. Eat ANY corn product
and you are ingesting fungus and mycotoxins. Keep
this in mind since many of the Medifast products
Carrageenan: a thickening agent. It's the vegetarian equivalent of casein, the same protein that is isolated from milk and used to thicken foods. Casein is also used to produce paints, and is the glue used to hold a label to a bottle of beer. Carrageenan is the magic ingredient used to de-ice frozen airplanes sitting on tarmacs during winter storms.
So- to sum up the Caramel Crunch Bar...you have just ingested:
The blinders need to come off people.
See this for what it is.
Money making processed, contaminated, artificial, cancer causing junk.
Don't ruin your body just to lose a few pounds.
It's not worth it.
Be smart. Read labels.
If you don't know what the ingredient is......
google it for pete's sake.
You might as well just eat some pop tarts, wash it down with some V-8 juice and take a multivitaim.
It's really about the same thing.
And you will save a lot of money.